Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Hold on to your butts!

It's been a long time hasn't it? But guess what? I graduated from college!!!! I am now an alumna (because I'm a lady) of Ringling College of Art and Design, class of 2013!


This post will be an update with all the work I did for my thesis class in my last semester of Ringling. My goal was to create an appealing portfolio of children's book-type illustrations. Here was my setup at my illustration senior show that was a few weekends ago
.



 It was great seeing everyone's thesis' and seeing all the hard work my graduating class put in to the show. I definitely think we had one of the best shows in Ringling Illustration history.

Now for the work I created this past (and final :C) semester:



Imaginative children's map illustration!

 I've always enjoyed map illustrations with a lot of detail and elements to let the eye wander over and find. Definitely inspired by the work of Migy.

closeups 




some sketches




Spot illustrations and process sketches of kids doing various sports/activities. Specifically: Taekwondo (martial arts), Skateboarding, and Soccer.



My goal was to simply illustrate a variety of kids enjoying a variety of conventional and unconventional "sports" and activities.


Personally, I have been playing soccer since I was 5 and I still play it recreationally when I have time.  I have tried Taekwondo twice; once as a child and a few years ago in college but I never stuck with it (regrettably). Skateboarding is foreign to me but still amazing! I really enjoy watching videos of skateboarders riding and doing tricks in the street.


 







a mother and child bath time scene.



with this piece I wanted to create a heartwarming family/domestic sort of scene. I've never personally had to give a bath to a baby or a young child but I have had to take care of children on numerous occasions (as a babysitter in high school and again in a more structured setting as a YMCA childwatch employee) so I know how imaginative and rambunctious kids can be when given toys in any setting. 



A big inspiration for this piece was Disney/Pixar's Partysaurus Rex. watching that video never fails to cheer me up and make me smile.


 sidenote: can you guess the ethnicity of the mother and child? during this piece I told myself I wouldn't do white/caucasian characters to try something different and to showcase more diversity in my portfolio. From my research it seems the more racial and ethnic diversity in characters in a portfolio, the better (especially for children's book illustration portfolios).



some sketches:







L - "Lucy Loved her Lollipops" 

from a children's alphabet book I worked on with twelve other illustrators. the book can be purchased here: http://www.pancakespickles.com/. All funds raised by the book will go to help the Miracle League of Manasota.






printed!


Y - "Yellow Yippy Yorky"






is yogurt really yummy with yellow fin tuna? I may just have to try that myself and find out!



Frog mother and tadpole babies!

Trying my hand at drawing/conceptualizing different types of animals all while keeping it cute n' adorable :3 

Would be a cover for a children's-type magazine like Ladybug


something like that in a sense.


sketches and thumbnails.


 




One of two illustrations from Little Red Riding Hood.



"All the better to eat you with, my dear!"

some process work:







That's all folks! for now at least. I'm definitely happy with the work that I produced in my final semester at Ringling. Now it's time to expand on that work and continue to make pieces I am proud of! I plan to update this blog along with my tumblr more frequently and hopefully more consistently. 

Life after graduation has just begun and I'm excited and nervous to see where it'll take me!

No comments:

Post a Comment